You are here
Non-Specific Ergonomics Research
Drywall & Ceiling Installation
- Position and Size of Drywall on the Physical Demands for Drywall Installers by Lu Yuan, Sc.D., Southeastern Louisiana University, May 2013.
- New Tools for Drywall Finishers May Reduce Injury Risk
- Hunting KL, Welch LS, Cuccherini BA, Seiger LA . Musculoskeletal symptoms among electricians. Am J Ind Med;25:149-163. View abstract.
- Dale AM, Ryan D, Welch L, Olsen MA, Buchholz B, Evanoff BA . Comparison of Musculoskeletal Disorder Health Claims Between Construction Floor Layers and a General Working Population. Occupational Environmental Medicine; 72(1):15-20 doi:10.1136/oemed-2014-102313. View abstract.
- McGaha J, Miller K, Descatha A, Welch L, Buchholz B, Evanoff B, Dale AM . Exploring physical exposures and identifying high-risk work tasks within the floor layer trade. Applied Ergonomics, November 22. Epub ahead of print. View abstract.
- Opening the Black Box: Evaluating an Ergonomics Program for Floor Layers, Step by Step (2013). View abstract or Key Findings.
- Developing and Testing of Ergonomic Tools for Tile Setters Work
Masonry – Brick, Block, Stone, Cement, & Terrazzo
- Hess JA, Weinstein M, Welch L . Ergonomic best practices in masonry: regional differences, benefits, barriers, and recommendations for dissemination. Journal of Occupational Environmental Hygiene Aug 7(8):446-55. View abstract.
- Entzel P, Albers J, Welch L . Best practices for preventing musculoskeletal disorders in masonry: Stakeholder perspectives. Appl Ergonomics Sep;38(5):557-66. View abstract.
- Self-Reported Musculoskeletal Symptoms and Perceived Job-Related Characteristics Among Mason Tenders
- Optimal Ergonomic Design of Concrete Cellular Blocks
- Impact of Spatial Factors on Bricklaying Ergonomics
- Masonry Ergonomics Solutions
Operating Engineering – Heavy Machinery
- Zimmerman CL, Hatiar KM, Cook TM . A comparison of work-related musculoskeletal disorders among operating engineers in the United States and Slovakia. Cent Eur J Occup Environ Med;4:232-246. View abstract.
- Zimmerman CL, Cook TM, Rosecrance JC . Operating engineers: Work-related musculoskeletal disorders and the trade. Appl Occup Environ Hyg;12:670-680.
Road, Railway, & Bridge Construction
- Buchholz B, Paquet V, Wellman H, Forde M . Quantification of ergonomic hazards for ironworkers performing concrete reinforcement tasks during heavy highway construction. AIHA J (Fairfax, Va);64:243-250. View abstract.
- Moir S, Paquet V, Punnett L, Buchholz B, Wegman D . Making sense of highway construction: a taxonomic framework for ergonomic exposure assessment and intervention research. Appl Occup Environ Hyg;18:256-267. View abstract.
- Highway and Bridge Construction Drilling
- Worker Fatigue: Managing concerns in rapid renewal highway construction projects
- Buchholz B, Paquet VL . Reducing ergonomic hazards during highway tunnel construction: A case study of a tunnel ceiling panel assembly operation. In: Rice V, ed. Ergonomics in Clinical Practice. Newton, Mass: Butterworth-Heinemann. (CPWR Library)
- Welch LS, Hunting KL, Haile E and Boden L . Musculoskeletal and Medical Conditions among Construction Roofers – A Longitudinal Study. Amer J Ind Med 53(6):552-60. View abstract.
- Welch LS, Hunting KL, Haile E and Boden L . Musculoskeletal Disorders among Construction Roofers: Physical Function and Disability. Scan J Work Env Health 35:56-63. View abstract.
- Welch LS, Hunting KL, Haile E and Boden L . Musculoskeletal and Medical Conditions among Construction Roofers, Work, 31:377-386. View abstract.
- Measurement Strategies in the Application of Guidelines for Manual Materials Handling in Scaffolding
- Reducing Sprains and Strains in Construction through Worker Participation: A Manual for Managers and Workers with Examples from Scaffold Erection. Koningsveld, Ernst A.P., Peter Vink, Isle J.M. Urlings, and Annelise M. de Jong. 1998 View full article.
- Hoffmeister K, Gibbons A, Schwatka N, Rosecrance J . Ergonomics Climate Assessment: A measure of operational performance and employee well-being. Journal of Applied Ergonomics; 50:160-169. View abstract.
- Jaegers L, Dale AM, Weaver N, Buchholz B, Welch L, Evanoff B . Development of a program logic model and evaluation plan for a participatory ergonomics intervention in construction. American Journal of Industrial Medicine. Published Online First, September 4. View abstract.
- Moore JT, Cigularov KP, Sampson JM, Rosecrance JC, Chen PY . Construction Workers' Reasons for Not Reporting Work-Related Injuries: An Exploratory Study. International Journal of Occupational Safety and Ergonomics, 2013:19(1). View abstract. View one-page Key Findings.
- Dale AM, Jaegers LA, Buchholz B, Welch L, Weaver N, Evanoff BA . Using process evaluation to determine effectiveness of participatory ergonomics training interventions in construction. Work 41(Suppl): 3824 -3826. View abstract.
- Rempel D, Star D, Barr A, Blanco MM, Janowitz I . Field evaluation of a modified intervention for overhead drilling. Journal of Occupational & Environmental Hygiene (4):194-202. View abstract. Read press release.
- Weinstein M, Hecker S, Hess J, Kincl L . “There is Nothing So Practical as a Good Theory: A Roadmap to Diffuse Ergonomic Innovations in the Construction Industry,” International Journal of Occupational and Environmental Health, 13(1):46-55, January. View abstract.
- Albers J, Estill C, MacDonald L . Identification of ergonomics interventions used to reduce musculoskeletal loading for building installation tasks. Appl Ergon;36(4):427-439. View abstract.
- Rosecrance JC, Ketchen KJ, Merlino LA, Anton DC, Cook TM . Test-retest reliability of a self-administered musculoskeletal symptoms and job factors questionnaire used in ergonomics research. Appl Occup Environ Hyg;17:613-621. View abstract.
- Paquet VL, Punnett L, Buchholz B . Validity of fixed-interval observations for postural assessment in construction work. Appl Ergon;32:215-224. View abstract.
- Schneider SP . Musculoskeletal injuries in construction: a review of the literature. Appl Occup Environ Hyg;16:1056-1064. View abstract.
- Cook TM . Musculoskeletal symptoms, ergonomics, and economics (guest editorial). Journal of Orthopedic and Sports Physical Therapy. View abstract.
- Schneider S, Griffin M, Chowdhury R . Ergonomic Exposure Construction Workers: An Analysis of the U.S. Department of Labor Employment and Training Administration Database on Job Demands. Applied Occupational and Environmental Hygiene,13(4):238-41. View abstract.
- Moir S, Buchholz B . Emerging participatory approaches to ergonomic interventions in the construction industry. Am J Ind Med;29:425-430. View abstract.
- Overview of Toolbox Talks on Ergonomics Developed by Washington University in St. Louis
- Planning Tool for Safe Manual Handling
- Creating the Climate for Making Ergonomic Changes. Laura Boatman, Debra Chaplan, Suzanne Teran. State Building and Construction Trades Council of California, May 2012.
- Worker Health eChartbook: Musculoskeletal Conditions - Magnitude and Trend (2009, CDC)
- Rempel D, COEH Bridges . Overhead Drilling Project Enters New Phase. Center for Occupational & Environmental Health. Bridges December issue.
- Occupational Injuries among US Construction Workers Treated at the George Washington University Emergency Department, 1990-97
- NIOSH Construction Compendium
- Ergonomics Demonstration Project: Wallboard (2002, Washington State Department of Labor and Industries)
- Kittusamy NK, Buchholz B . An ergonomic evaluation of excavating operations: a pilot study. Appl Occup Environ Hyg;16:723-726. View full article.
- Evaluation of Participative Projects in the Construction Industry : An Analysis of the Effectiveness of the Results in Practice
- An Ergonomics Training Intervention With Construction Workers : Effects on Behavior and Perceptions
- The Influence of Work Organization in the Correct Postures Maintenance in Civil Construction Tasks
- Walkthrough Ergonomic Checklist for Evaluating Slip/Fall Potential in Lead Abatement Tasks
- Musculoskeletal Disorders in Hungarian Construction Apprentices
- Ergonomics in Construction : Management and Worker Perceptions
- Knowledge Bank Construction Tasks
- Follow-Up Study of Musculoskeletal Injuries among Construction Workers
- Ergonomics and Economics : Dilemma's and Chances
- NIOSH Press release: June 1, 2000 Working Women Face High Risks From Work Stress, Musculoskeletal Injuries, Other Disorders, NIOSH Finds
- Ergonomic Hazards for Each Trade
- Participatory Ergonomics
- Diffusing Ergonomic Interventions in Construction
- Evaluating Interventions for Overhead Drilling
- Hecker S, Gibbons B, Barsotti A . Making ergonomic changes in construction: Worksite training and task interventions. In: Alexander D, Rabourn R, eds. Applied Ergonomics. London: Taylor & Francis;162-189. View chapter at http://bit.ly/1iFKV46.
- Zimmerman CL, Rosecrance JC, Cook TM, Schneider S. Construction. In: Karwowski W, ed . International Encyclopedia of Ergonomics and Human Factors. London & New York:Taylor & Francis, Inc.;1486-1488. (CPWR Library)
- Ergonomics in the Construction Industry. Schneider, Scott. In: Waldermar Karwowski and William S. Marras, eds., The Occupational Ergonomics Handbook. Washington, D.C.: CRC Press, 1999, 1967-77 (Hard copy available)
- Hatiar KM, Balaz J, Madajova A, Zimmerman CL, Rosecrance JC, Cook TM . Ergonomicky vyskum v Stavebnictve na Slovensku. Bull Slov Anthrol Spoloc;1:36-40. (CPWR Library)
- Abstracts from 1st International Symposium on Ergonomics in Building and Construction 30 June- 2 July 1997, Tampere, Finland (Hard copy available)
- Cook TM, Rosecrance JC, Zimmerman CL, Hatiar KM . Comparison of Musculoskeletal Disorders in U.S. and Slovak Construction Workers. University of Iowa. (CPWR Library)
- The University of Iowa Construction Survey Cook, Thomas M., John C. Rosecrance and Chris L. Zimmerman. 1996
- Work-Related Musculoskeletal Disorders: A Construction Bibliography Second Edition. 1994