You are here
S&H Network: Industry Partnerships & Working Groups: Masonry r2p Partnership
In November 2010, the International Union of Bricklayers and Allied Craftworkers (BAC), the International Council of Employers (ICE), and the International Masonry Institute (IMI), established the Masonry r2p Partnership in collaboration with CPWR. Together, these partners have access to a national network of organizations and individuals involved in all aspects of the industry. The goal of this Partnership is to increase awareness and use of tools, materials, and work practices that have been found to reduce workers’ risk for injury or illness in the masonry industry.
While supporting the Partnership’s goal, CPWR has been furthering the construction industry’s understanding of the role partnerships play in advancing research to practice (r2p). Lessons learned are documented in the Construction Research to Practice (r2p) Partnership Toolkit.
Current Partnership projects with CPWR and NIOSH researchers:
- Safety Voice for Ergonomics (SAVE) Project
- Prevention Partnerships to document what makes a sustainable safety and health r2p partnership
- Identifying new dust controls for masonry restoration (tuckpointing)
Partnership online resources contributed to or developed to promote the use of safer work practices and equipment:
- Mast Climbers - online resource including research findings, safety and productivity benefits, and training materials
- ChooseHandSafety.org - a website focused on hand related injuries, including musculoskeletal disorders and skin disorders
- IMI Safety Toolbox Talks - designed for the masonry industry and focused on the Partnership’s priorities
- ICE Safety Toolbox and Contractor Intervention Sheets - quick references tailored for masonry employers
Presentations & Posters:
- r2p in Construction: Masonry r2p Partnership - Gerard Scarano, Executive Vice President, International Union of Bricklayers and Allied Craftworkers, June 4th, 2015.
- Research to Practice (r2p) Model - Charlotte Chang, DrPH, UC Berkeley
Selected Articles on the Masonry r2p Partnership’s work:
- BAC Journal . Training Center and Apprentices Test Helmet Cam Technology for Measuring Silica Exposure.
- BAC Journal . SAVE Ergonomics Training for Masonry Apprentices: Third Year Update
- ICE Voice . Unionized Masonry Industry to Serve as r2p Partnership Model for Construction Safety. 4th Quarter 2010 Report, p 8
- ICE Voice . ICE/BAC Initiatives Take Center Stage at Craft Committee Meetings. 1st Quarter 2011 Report, pp 9 - 10
- ICE Voice . New Mast Climber Website Launched by Masonry r2p Partnership, 3rd Quarter 2011 Report, pp 8 - 9
- BAC Journal . Craft Committees Identify Safety and Health r2p Priorities, Issue 2, pp 5 – 7
- BAC Journal . New Mast Climber Website Launched by Masonry r2p Partnership, Issue 2, pp 7
- ICE Voice . CPWR Launches an Online Resource to Identify and Control Silica Dust, December 2012
- BAC Journal . Finding the Best Hand Tools: It must be better…They say it's "ergonomically designed", Issue 3
- BAC Journal . Protect Your Hearing: Do Your Part – PPE Only Works if You Use It, Issue