You are here
FOUNDATIONS FOR SAFETY LEADERSHIP (FSL)
NEW Foundations for Safety Leadership (FSL) training module.
The FSL is now an official elective in the OSHA 30-Hour training course!
Each year, more than 100,000 construction workers, foremen, and other supervisory personnel take the OSHA 30-hour outreach training course to learn how to identify and control occupational hazards. The new 2.5-hour Foundations for Safety Leadership (FSL) module* fills a long-standing need to provide leadership skills training.
The FSL was developed with input from experienced OSHA 10- and 30-hour outreach trainers, construction workers, safety and health professionals, and leadership and safety climate specialists, and approved as an OSHA 30-hour elective module by the OSHA Directorate of Training and Education. It can be used as part of an OSHA 30-hour class (beginning January 1, 2017) or on its own.
Here's what users are saying:
"The small huddle approach has been adopted for all projects with manning exceeding 30 workers. The supervisor indicated that the FSL supported this initiative.
His remarks are consistent with feedback provided by the lead foreman on our other projects." (Corporate Safety Director, Dimeo Construction)
“I am excited by the ease of engagement with this topic, and feel all who attended will commit and support this new elective in construction outreach going forward.”
(Program Director, Region 1 OTI Education Center/Keene State College)
"I am proud to be a promoter of the FSL within Zurich and with my customers. You and your team have created a brilliant and valuable resource that is transforming
safety culture positively in the construction industry." (Anthony O'Dea C.S.P.; C.H.S.T )
The FSL program materials available for download include the following:
Power Point Presentation --
1. Checking with your company’s /organization’s IT staff to see if there is a firewall that is preventing the download. If this is the case, you might try using a non-company computer; or
2. Contact Ms. Sherri Wilson (email@example.com) and she can send you a flash-drive containing all of the FSL materials.
The FSL training module presentation has two sections:
- The first section contains foundational material about the costs of ineffective and the benefits of effective safety leadership, and introduces students to 5 critical leadership skills and practices they will need to become real safety leaders.
- The second section contains seven short scenarios formatted to be presented as a narrated video, written script, or role-play in which foremen, superintendents, workers, and owners are shown using or not using the leadership skills when responding to real-world construction site hazards.
Instructor Guide -- Contains questions and classroom activities for engaging students in discussions about the material covered based on their own experiences.
Student Handout – Allows students to follow along with the program, make notes, and use as a reference document after the training course.
Hard Hat Sticker & Wallet Card – Instructors or companies can print Wallet Cards to remind students of the five leadership skills and also Safety Leader Hardhat Stickers.
Microsoft Power Point Hyperlink Repair Instructions - please refer to this document if a hyperlink in the presentation is not working.
To learn more about the FSL, contact Dr. Linda M. Goldenhar (firstname.lastname@example.org). To help us respond to user needs, please take a few minutes to complete our brief FSL survey. Click here to take the survey.
* Materials are 508 compliant