You are here
RF Radiation Awareness
Workers who perform tasks on rooftops, sides of buildings, news gathering trucks, and other structures where cellular antennas and other RF (radiofrequency) generating devices are present may be at risk of exposure to hazardous levels of RF radiation.
The Radiofrequency (RF) Radiation Awareness Program for the Construction Industry was developed by the Roofing r2p Partnership* and the multi-trade labor-management RF Radiation Work Group*. The Program is intended to raise construction contractors’ and workers’ awareness of the potential risk, how to identify the hazard, and steps to work safely.
The program consists of the following:
- Presentation — Radiofrequency (RF) Radiation Awareness Program for the Construction Industry Overview
- Video — Safe Transmission: RF Awareness for the Construction Industry
- Hazard Alert Card — RF Radiation – An invisible danger (available in Spanish)
- Toolbox Talk — RF Radiation Awareness (available in Spanish)
- Guide – Radiofrequency (RF) Radiation Awareness Guide for the Construction Industry -- This Guide builds on the information covered in the presentation by providing additional details on how to assess the hazard, find regulations and guidance documents, determine if an RF generating device is present, and find protective equipment.
Click on the following for quick access to specific sections of the Guide:
- What is Radiofrequency (RF) Radiation?
- Common Uses
- Health Effects
- At Risk Workers
- Regulations & Guidelines
- Hazard Identification
- Protective Measures
*The Roofing r2p Partnership:
- National Roofing Contractors Association
- United Union of Roofers, Waterproofers and Allied Workers
and other members of the RF Radiation Work Group:
- International Union of Elevator Constructors & Elevator Industry Work Preservation Fund
- International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers
- International Union of Bricklayers & Allied Craftworkers
- International Council of Employers of Bricklayers & Allied Craftworkers
- Laborers' Health & Safety Fund of North America
- Operative Plasterers' and Cement Masons' International Association
- Sheet Metal Occupational Health Institute Trust
- The United Association of Journeymen and Apprentices of the Plumbing and Pipe Fitting Industry of the United States, Canada