The Building Trades National Medical Screening Program (BTMed) provides free medical screening services to construction workers formerly employed at Department of Energy (DOE) nuclear weapons sites, who may be at risk for occupational illnesses.
Since 1996, BTMed has provided nearly 40,000 medical screening exams and 6,400 low-dose CT scans to these workers. It offers conventional screenings, as well as an early lung cancer detection (ELCD) program. BTMed screens workers from 35 DOE sites through a network of more than 225 specially credentialed health clinics across the country.
Workers at these sites may have been exposed to occupational hazards such as radiation, asbestos, beryllium, cadmium, chromium, lead, silica, and solvents, which can cause cancer and other serious, even fatal, health problems. The medical screening exams are designed to identify work-related health conditions at an early, more treatable stage and provide information that improves the workers understanding of their health and well-being. Ongoing medical surveillance can also identify trends and benefit the occupational health and safety of future workers.
BTMed is part of the Department of Energy’s Former Worker Program (FWP) and is administered by CPWR.
Learn more by:
- Visiting the BTMed website
- Watching an introductory video about BTMed
- Calling 1-800-866-9663 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
- Emailing Trish Quinn, who directs CPWR’s efforts in these programs.
- Reading BTMed newsletters
- Reading BTMed published medical findings
- Following BTMed on Facebook
Find out more about the DOE Former Worker Program (FWP), including through the 2019 Former Worker Medical Screening Program Annual Report.
- CPWR – The Center for Construction Research and Training
- Duke University Medical Center
- University of Maryland Medical Center
- Stoneturn Consultants
- Zenith American Solutions
North America’s Building Trades Unions with support from various state and local councils including:
- Alaska State BCTC
- Augusta BCTC
- Central Washington BCTC
- Colorado State BCTC
- Dayton BCTC
- Florida Gulf Coast BCTC
- Greater Cincinnati BCTC
- Greater Kansas City BCTC
- Idaho BCTC
- Knoxville BCTC
- Nassau and Suffolk Counties BCTC
- St. Louis BCTC
- Tri-State (Kentucky, Ohio, West Virginia) BCTC
- West Kentucky BCTC