People working in the construction industry understand, and research confirms, that a strong safety climate and safety culture helps reduce the potential for injuries, illnesses, and fatalities. Since 2016, CPWR has worked closely with the industry to develop tools and resources — all available for free — to help companies achieve a strong positive job site safety climate/culture.
Our newest tool, the Safety Climate-Safety Management Information System (SC-SMIS), builds on and expands our work. With the SC-SMIS, account holders can use CPWR’s reliable and valid Safety Climate Assessment Tool (S-CAT — English or Spanish) to measure their company’s safety climate maturity, or they can get a snapshot of the safety management activities they’re currently using to strengthen safety climate with the Safety Climate Assessment Tool for Small Contractors (S-CATsc — English or Spanish). The eight leading indicators measured by both instruments are:
- Demonstrating Management Commitment
- Aligning and Integrating Safety as a Value
- Ensuring Accountability at All Levels
- Improving Supervisory Leadership
- Empowering and Involving Employees
- Improving Communication
- Training at All Levels
- Encouraging Owner/Client Involvement
After employees complete the S-CAT or S-CATsc, the company can review the scores; use that information to select from a large repository of evidence-based safety management resources that are specifically designed to improve low-scoring indicators; and then develop a plan to help put those resources into action.
Begin or continue your company’s safety climate improvement journey by visiting the new SC-SMIS website and creating an account. If you enter as a guest, you can still access the resource repository and download the S-CAT or S-CATsc, but you’ll need an account to administer a survey at your company.
Older CPWR Safety Climate/Culture Resources:
- Journal article: The Safety Climate Assessment Tool (S-CAT): A rubric-based approach to measuring construction safety climate
- Safety culture/climate articles and reports
- 2013 Construction Safety Culture/Safety Climate Workshop report and presentations
- Webinar: New Safety Climate Assessment Tool (S-CAT) & S-CAT Website: Tools to Self-Assess & Improve Your Company’s Jobsite Safety Climate
- Worksheets and a Rating Tool to Help You Strengthen Jobsite Safety Climate