Hearing loss is a serious problem for workers in the construction industry, with three out of every four construction workers being overexposed to noise on a jobsite. That is why hearing loss prevention is a priority for the OSHA-NIOSH-CPWR r2p Working Group. In order to understand more about noise exposure and hearing loss prevention, CPWR used its Trainers and Researchers United Network (TRU-Net) to conduct multi-trade surveys of trainers and workers.
The results of the trainer and worker surveys identified a need for additional training materials and new strategies to improve retention of the information and training provided. Based on these findings, CPWR’s r2p and training staff developed the Construction Noise and Hearing Loss Prevention Training Program. This comprehensive program includes modules and exercises that can be used on their own or as part of OSHA training programs:
- 1 Hour Elective Module. Provides instructors with materials to fulfill 1 hour of the 2 hours training requirement for Health Hazards in the OSHA 30. See additional training resources available on RF Radiation and Silica exposure to help fulfill the remaining hour.
- 30 Minute Elective Module. Designed to fulfill the OSHA 10-hour training program requirement for a ½ hour training module on a health hazard. Alternatively, it can be used for a portion of the OSHA 30-hour health hazard training requirement.
- In-Class & Hands-On Refresher Exercises. A series of short (5-10 minutes) exercises designed to reinforce and apply lessons learned about noise hazards and hearing loss prevention. It includes materials that can be incorporated into safety and health training modules (e.g., PPE, power tools, etc.) or as part of a hands-on skills training program.
- Instructor Manual
- Presentations for Noise Training Exercises for use in OSHA 10- & 30-Hour Modules
- Presentations for Noise Training Exercises for use in In-class for Skills Training Programs
- Exercise B-1 – Cumulative Presentation: Noise and Hearing Loss – The risk and prevention
- Exercise B-2 (A) – Stand Alone Slide: Noise – What are the risks?
- Exercise B-2 (B) – Stand Alone Slide: The Cost of Hearing Loss
- Exercise B-2 (C) – Stand Alone Slide: Noise – How Loud is Too Loud?
- Exercise B-2 (D) – Stand Alone Slide: Preventing Hearing Loss?
- Noise Training Exercises For Use In The Hands-On Portion Of Skills Training Programs
In addition to the training program, the following are links to other useful resources (some of which are incorporated into the training program) that can be used to raise awareness, address noise hazards, and prevent hearing loss in the construction industry:
- CPWR Exposure Control Database
- NIOSH Sound Level Meter App
- Construction Noise Infographics
- NIOSH Buy Quiet Program
- CPWR Hazard Alert: Noise and Ruido y la Pérdida Auditiva
- CPWR Toolbox Talk: Hearing Protection and Descargar versión en Español
- Mining Resources for Construction on Noise & Hearing Loss