Immigrant Workers in Construction: Sharing lessons learned in our unions
Thursday, April 12
8:30 a.m. Plenary Session Round Table Sessions
Robin Baker and Suzanne Teran,
Labor Occupational Health Program
University of California– Berkeley (LOHP)
9:00 – 10:00 Introduction to the Conference
- Jim Platner, CPWR – Welcome & Introduction to Issues
- Bob Balgenorth, BTC of California–
- BCTD National policy
- Francisco Altamirano – Painters District Council 82
- Robin Baker, LOHP – Reviews the workshops and structure of conference
10:15 – 11:45 Workshops on successful and/or innovative organizing
and training programs that unions have implemented
• Kristen D’Avolio, Essential Language, Boston
• Tom Gutierrez, Heat, Frost, Insulation Workers Local 5, Southern California
• Daniel Garcia, Roofers, San Jose
• Steve Andrade, UA, San Jose
• Josue Garcia, Santa Clara Building Trades Council, California
• Jose Oliva, Chicago Interfaith Committee, Illinois
• Tom Kavicky, Carpenters, Chicago
• David Arvayo, Painters, Chicago
- Eddie Acosta, AFL-CIO, Washington, D.C.
- Pablo Alvarado, National Day Labor Organizing Network, Los Angeles, CA
- Victor Narro, UCLA Labor Center
Presentation by Pablo Alvarado
12:00 – 1:15 Lunch with Guest Speaker
• Garrett Brown, Maquilladora Health and Safety Support Network
1:30 – 3:00 Workshops (Repeated from above)
3:15 – 5:00 Round Table Discussion: How to Get Support in the Union
Each group will brainstorm the challenges involved in developing and implementing programs for immigrant workers in their unions, then each round table will discuss strategies for overcoming some of these challenges.
5:30 – 7:00 Reception: Exhibitors display tools unions/JATCs can use.
Friday, April 13
8:00 – 9:00 Breakfast with Guest Speaker
Immigrants in the Construction Industry
• Peter Phillips, University of Utah
9:00 – 10:30 Workshops on overcoming the challenges and barriers to
organizing and outreach.
- David Gornewicz, Ironworkers, South Carolina
- Jose Marrero, Carpenters, Minnesota
- Dale Wortham, Harris County Building Trades, Texas
- Jerry Morales, Laborers, Northern California
- Henry Avila, UA, Bakersfield
- Jose Padilla, Roofers, Oakland
- Ana Avendano, Counsel, AFL-CIO
- Dan Smith, Roofers, San Jose
10:45 – 11:45 Round Table Discussions on Next Steps
- How can we continue to network on resources and solutions?
- What can Locals do?
- What can Internationals do?
- Recommendations Generated
- Additional Resources
11:45 – 12:00 Closing Remarks: Jim Platner, CPWR