The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH), and CPWR – The Center for Construction Research and Training (CPWR) established the r2p Working Group in 2010.
Our Vision: Widespread adoption of effective research-driven safety and health interventions and practices on construction job sites to protect and improve the lives of workers and their families.
Our Mission: To work collaboratively to maximize our collective resources to protect construction workers from the trench to the steel by:
- Translating research findings into practical applications and in appropriate language and formats;
- Broadly disseminating research-based findings to construction audiences;
- Facilitating relationships and exchange between researchers and construction stakeholders; and
- Driving demand, availability, and use of safety and health interventions and practices to eliminate construction worker fatalities and reduce injury and illness.
Examples of joint efforts to date include:
- The National Campaign to Prevent Falls in Construction – Stop Construction Falls (campaign website)
–The National Campaign to Prevent Falls in Construction: A Social Network Analysis – Executive Summary New
– Preventing falls in residential construction: Effectiveness of engaging partners for a national social marketing campaign. American Journal of Industrial Medicine 58(8): 809-823
- Nail Gun Safety materials to promote their safe use
– NIOSH-OSHA – Nail Gun Safety: A Guide for Construction Contractors
– CPWR – NailGunSafety: TheFacts (website)
– CPWR – Nail Guns Hazard Alert Card and Pistolas de Clavos
- Work Safely with Silica – a website designed to raise awareness and protect workers from silica exposure, including a free online contractor planning tool to create a silica control plan
- Reaching vulnerable workers – studies, reports, and related resources on reaching young workers, Latino workers, new entrants to the industry, and those working for small contractors
- Career Technical Education – formative research on integrating safety and health training into this educational format in construction
- Preventing hearing loss – infographics, information on quiet-low noise equipment, and other resources
- Social Marketing in Construction Safety & Health