Research has shown that a strong job site safety climate can improve safety and health outcomes for workers, including lowering injury rates.
With extensive input from the construction industry, researchers at CPWR and Washington State University Vancouver developed the Safety Climate Assessment Tool (S-CAT), which companies can use to assess their progress towards strengthening eight leading indicators of safety climate:
- Demonstrating Management Commitment
- Aligning and Integrating Safety as a Value
- Ensuring Accountability at All Levels
- Improving Supervisory Leadership
- Empowering and Involving Employees
- Improving Communication
- Training at All Levels
- Encouraging Owner/Client Involvement
You can access and administer the reliable and valid S-CAT at no charge by going to our Safety Climate-Safety Management Information System (SC-SMIS) website and creating an account. If you enter as a guest, you can download the S-CAT but will need to create a free account to administer it at your company.