Many liquid paint strippers and solvents contain a toxic chemical called methylene chloride. Exposure can lead to death or serious illness. Workers are at risk when they inhale methylene chloride vapors and when it comes in contact with their skin.
The following links contain additional information about the dangers of methylene chloride and safer alternatives.
Video: Toxic Paint Removers: Safer Alternatives
Video also available in Spanish.
- Sherwin-Williams Commits to Ban Deadly Paint Strippers
- Lowe’s commits to phasing out paint removal products with methylene chloride and NMP
- The Home Depot to be third major U.S. retailer to ban deadly paint strippers
- Walmart joins other retailers with ban on deadly paint removers
- AutoZone, PPG Halt Sale of Paint Strippers With Toxic Chemicals
- Dumond Chemicals Applauds Ban of Methylene Chloride and Toxic Solvent NMP By Major USA Retailers
- Home improvement chain Menards joins the growing chorus of retailers banning dangerous paint strippers
- Methylene Chloride Hazard Alert – Stripping Paint: Risk of Exposure to Methylene Chloride, also available in Spanish.
- Construction Solutions Hazard Analysis – Interaction with paint-related solvents Describes the risks associated with paint-related solvents such as methylene chloride.
- Construction Solutions – Safer Alternatives to Paint Removers Containing the Solvent Methylene Chloride Offers a detailed list of safer products that can be used for paint stripping and refinishing, including the brand name and chemical content.
- OSHA Safety & Health Topic: Methylene Chloride Contains resources for workers, employers, and small businesses regarding jobsite safety guidelines.
- California Department of Public Health – Preventing Worker Deaths from Paint Strippers Containing Methylene Chloride Provides links to information on fatalities, educational materials such as hazard alerts, posters and guides, and additional methylene chloride resources.
- NIOSH Workplace Safety & Health Topic – Methylene Chloride Provides links to methylene chloride resources including a pocket guide with exposure limits, respirator recommendations, and first aid information; a summary of the chemical’s health and safety information; and detailed toxicity information.
- EPA Small Entity Compliance Guidance for the Regulation of Methylene Chloride Official EPA compliance guide for small entities based on the EPA regulation published on March 27, 2019.