Below are all the key resources you will need to teach the FSL, plus materials to enhance the classroom experience.
Provides suggested notes to use for each slide as well as ideas for classroom activities and discussion questions. Before teaching the FSL, instructors should review the short introductory section to learn about the presentation structure and content and suggestions for time management.
FSL PowerPoint Presentation (PC or Mac)
Formatted slides with animation functions, embedded videos, and notes.
*Please Note: The PowerPoint is a large file. If you have problems downloading it:
- Check with your company’s/organization’s IT staff to see if there is a firewall preventing the download. If this is the case, you might try using a non-company computer; or
- Contact Ms. Sherri Wilson ([email protected]). She can send you a flash-drive containing the FSL materials.
FSL PowerPoint Presentation 508 compliant slides (Please Note: the 508 compliant presentation requires internet access to view the videos.)
Responding to trainer requests, we created 3 new scenarios (along with instructor teaching information) showing some other trades. You can use one or more of these in your FSL training.
Using this Paper Airplane Activity during your training is a great way to demonstrate the importance of practicing 3-way communication
Skill Sheets + Skill Videos
Download and use these one-page skill sheets and two-minute refresher videos to remind folks of the FSL leadership practices and give them the opportunity to set goals and be accountable.
You can also access the videos using the QR code on the skill sheet.
- Lead by Example – skill sheet + skill video
- Engage and Empower – skill sheet + skill video
- Actively Listen – skill sheet + skill video
- 3-way Communication – skill sheet + skill video
- Develop Team Members – skill sheet + skill video
- Recognize Team Members – skill sheet + skill video
The FSL Leadership Skills Poster
Contains a table listing the leadership skills and good leadership actions. Suggested printing dimensions: 34” x 44”
Scenario Facilitation Table Poster
Lists each of the leadership skills. If you laminate it, you can use an erasable marker to check how the class responds to the discussion questions. Suggested printing dimensions 24” x 36”.
Certificate of completion
At the end of class, you may want to give your students a certificate of completion to make it official that they’ve taken the first step to becoming a safety leader.
Hyperlink repair instructions
Instructions to help you repair the hyperlinks contained in the PPT (if needed).